In 2nd Grade at Terra Centre Elementary in Burke, VA, every year they honor the BUG, with a day of fun and games. This year, it's Harry's turn to celebrate his favorite six legged friend. He choose to be a cricket, and Mom set out to create a costume. I Googled, I Google everything, and am usually successful when it comes to finding ideas on the web. Not this time. I found one decent picture of a cricket costume, but I did not have time for the paper mache head they had made. Did I fail to mention, that I found the info for Bug Day on our counter, a week before the event? Actually, we only were given two weeks notice, so I wasn't too far behind, but that's not how I felt. Harry mentioned that one of his friends had been a cricket and had used camo for his costume. That gave me the idea of get a puffy camo vest and go from there. Of course, I couldn't find a vest, but the Mart of Wal, had a puffy camo jacket for $15, and the cricket was conceived. The long sleeve shirt and pants were easy, but how was I going to create an additional set of legs, wings, eyes, and antennas. Thanks goodness everything seem to be at this one local, and I was able to get a pair of camo sleep pants that I sewed onto the jacket for legs/wings, a large white styrofoam ball that I cut in half and painted black for eye balls, and lots of pipe cleaners for antennas, and other cricket parts, pieces. It worked, and Harry was pleased. Davy wanted one, also. I told him, it will be his come 2nd grade!
I also made the snack for Bug Day! Subir, Alicia and I served the hungry buggers. (Side note: we loved having Alicia up for the weekend to help Mom decorate the new house - more on that later!) I made sweet cockroaches, and salty ants, with a side of green bug juice. Yummy!
No comments:
Post a Comment